- 2 eggplants, unpeeled, and cut round ½-inch slices
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 3 zucchini, peeled, and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon oil for brushing, plus oil to fry
- Salt and pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 1 jar tomato sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spread the zucchini and mushrooms on a baking pan, and brush lightly with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake until vegetables are soft, and then let drain in a mesh colander lined with paper towels to soak up excess oil (this method can also be used for the eggplant if you do not want to fry it).
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan on medium high heat. Add eggplant carefully to oil and fry on both sides until soft and lightly browned. Remove eggplant from oil to a plate lined with paper towels to soak up excess oil.
- Spray a glass baking dish with cooking spray and spoon a layer of tomato sauce onto the bottom. Top with a layer of eggplant, then a spoonful of sauce and sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. Then add a layer of zucchini and mushrooms, a spoonful of sauce and sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. Continue adding layers of eggplant and zucchini and mushrooms until all ingredients are used. Top with another layer of sauce, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese if desired and basil leaves.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the dish is bubbling hot. Serve remaining sauce with a heaping portion of pasta.